January Term Study Abroad is open to all undergraduate and graduate students at NYU, as well as visiting students. Please read the following admissions information before starting your application.
- Students must be in good academic standing with a minimum 3.0 G.P.A.
- Students must have a valid passport.
- If you are an international student, you must indicate this on your application. You will then receive the I-20 application which must be submitted by November 15.
- Please visit the January Term website for more information specific to international students.
Chrome Version 16 and higher
Internet Explorer Version 7 and higher
Firefox Version 3.6 and higher
Safari Version 4 and higher
Document upload requirements:
No larger than 2 MB per file, with one of
the following extensions: .PDF, .DOC, .DOCX, .JPG, .RTF, .TXT, .JPEG
If your document does not meet these requirements it will not upload properly and we will therefore not be able to view it as part of your application.
January Term Dates
January 7 - 22, 2013
- Applications will be accepted until Wednesday, October 24, 2012, 5 p.m. (EST)
Your application must be submitted online AND your transcript received by our office by the posted deadline date. If we are missing any part of the application, we cannot consider you for admission.
Applications are processed on a rolling basis but applicants are encouraged to apply early as the program may fill before the deadline. Final status notification is sent via e-mail approximately 1-2 weeks after submitting a complete application.
Apply using the online application system.
- Online application
- Personal Statement (See below)
- Creative résumé
- Official copy of university transcript(s) or Albert printout (submit to our office)
- Passport (must be valid no earlier than 6 months past the end of the program you are applying to)
- NYU students are required to use their NYU email address.
- Non-NYU students should submit the $75 non-refundable application fee as directed in the online application
Please retain a copy of all completed application materials for your records. Candidates who feel their academic performance may not adequately reflect their current abilities are welcome to upload any additional materials that they feel will help support their application. Please make sure that your name and NYU ID number appear on all supplementary materials you upload and your transcript.
Upload or copy and paste under "Personal Statement" within the online application.
Choose 1 of the 3 following quotations to respond to in essay form. Your statement must be a minimum of 500 words and a maximum of 1500 words.
- "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." —Mark Twain
- "One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things." —Henry Miller
- "Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." —Miriam Beard
Interviews and AuditionsStudents who meet the requirements for our programs may be contacted for an interview or audition, depending on the program. Please note that consideration for an interview is also contingent on space availability, so you are encouraged to apply early.
How to Apply
Tisch Special Programs uses an online application for all programs. Please remember that our primary method of communication is e-mail.
When creating your online application account, NYU students MUST use their NYU e-mail address. We will be sending time sensitive information that is vital to the application process.
To access the application, APPLY NOW!
If you are having difficulty with the online application, please contact us at (212) 998-1512.