Acceptance to Tisch Summer Study Abroad is based on your academic record; a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA, satisfaction of prerequisites, recommendations, personal statement (if applicable), film treatments (if applicable), readiness for living and studying abroad and how well your interests match the training we offer. Enrollment is limited. Please read the following admissions information before starting your application.
Chrome Version 16 and higher
Internet Explorer Version 7 and higher
Firefox Version 3.6 and higher
Safari Version 4 and higher
Document upload requirements:
No larger than 2 MB per file, with one of
the following extensions: .PDF, .DOC, .DOCX, .JPG, .RTF, .TXT, .JPEG
If your document does not meet these requirements it will not upload
properly and we will therefore not be able to view it as part of your application.
- Tisch Summer Study Abroad Programs are open to a variety of students, including matriculated NYU, graduate, visiting, and nondegree students, or others who meet the prerequisite coursework.
- Admission to each program is competitive and based on academic record, creative ability, satisfaction of prerequisites, recommendations, personal statement (if applicable), interests, and readiness for living and studying abroad.
- Students must have a 3.0 minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA).
- Students must have a valid passport.
- Accepted students must reside in NYU-assigned housing.
- EXTENDED DEADLINE OF March 29, 2013 FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS ONLY: Havana, Paris, Sydney, Prague, and Florence Producing
- All other program applications are now closed
Applications are processed on a rolling basis; however, programs may fill before the deadline so students are encouraged to apply early. Final status notification is sent via email. Applicants will be notified no later than mid-April.
Apply using the online application system. You will complete and submit the application, résumé, and if applicable, provide writing samples and film treatments.
- Online application form
- Creative résumé
- Personal Statement (See below)
- Passport (See below)
- $75 non-refundable application fee payable online (Not required for current NYU students)
Official copy of university transcript(s). Original official school transcripts must be submitted to our office and should include final grades for the 2011-2012 academic year. NYU students may submit unofficial Albert printouts.
Recommendations are not required for applying to Tisch Summer Study Abroad.
Personal StatementUpload or copy and paste under "Personal Statement" within the online application.
Choose 1 of the 3 following quotations to respond to in essay form. Your statement must be a minimum of 500 words and a maximum of 1500 words.
- "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." —Mark Twain
- "One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things." —Henry Miller
- "Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." —Miriam Beard
PassportUpload a clear, fully legible copy of your valid passport in the “Required Documents” tab under "Document Management" as “Additional Information” in the online application. You do not need to submit a copy of the entire passport; only the pages with your photo and biographical information. The passport must be valid no earlier than 6 months past the end of the program you are applying to. The passport must have at least two adjacent blank pages.
If you have more than one passport, please submit both.
We reserve the option to interview or audition students. Our office will contact you to arrange an interview or audition if necessary.
Amsterdam applicantsThe program is open to students with prior acting training or experience. Acceptance to the program is by audition/interview only. Auditions for non-NYU students will take place in the spring. Exact dates to be announced. All students applying to this program must first contact Todd Pettiford in the Drama Department at (212) 998-1847 or email@example.com. Click here for Amsterdam audition dates and details.
Florence applicantsThe Commedia Dell'Arte program in Florence is suggested for students with some prior acting experience but is open to students with-out prior training. Acceptance to the program is by audition/interview only. All auditions take place in New York City, but Skype auditions can be arranged. You must go to this website for complete Florence audition instructions.
How to Apply
Tisch Special Programs uses an online application for all programs. Please remember that our primary method of communication is email.
When creating your online application account, please provide one active email address that you check regularly. We will be sending time sensitive information that is vital to the application process.
NYU regulations require that NYU student MUST use their NYU email address.
To access the application, APPLY NOW!
If you are having difficulty with the online application, please contact us at (212) 998-1512.